CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring!


Happy first day of Spring!  We had a great day today in Kindergarten!


My kids had fun planting some seeds yesterday.  They each put one scoop of dirt into our root view garden (some spillage may have occurred).  Some of the girls were squeamish about scooping the planting soil with the trowel (why?) but they all did it.  We planted carrots, radishes, and onions (thanks to my friend Sherry for getting us the seeds and soil!).  They were all ready to eat them!  From experience, I can tell you we get little mutant radishes and carrots, nothing much from the onions.  But the roots are fun to observe.

The little hanging baggies are beans with damp cotton balls.  Three bags had sprouts but two didn't (four beans per bag) so we replanted them.  The kids used magnifying glasses to make observations.



The cups have marigold seeds.  The kids will get to squirt them every day (woohoo) and I will get to squirt them all of spring break.  Eventually, they will become Mother's Day gifts (I have never gotten any to bloom but my friend Sherry has!)




Last but not least, we included a little art with our science.  I think I actually thought of this one all by myself!  The kids drew flowers with oil pastels and then painted them with liquid watercolors.  Love how they turned out!




So glad it is Spring!



I am linking up to the Spring Linky Party at The Second Grade Superkids and Kids Coop Linky Party at Reading Confetti.

6 comments:

Jen R said...

I wonder if we have oil pastels at our school...hmmmm

Krista Happ said...

The flowers turned out great! Thanks for linking up to my "Spring Linky"! Always fun to have new ideas!

-Krista The Second Grade Superkids

Lorie said...

Love how the flowers turned out! What fun for the little ones to grow things themselves and I bet the mothers love the marigolds even if they don't bloom. :) Thanks so much for linking this up to Kid's Co-op!

Unknown said...

Great Spring activities! The watercolors are gorgeous.

The Monko said...

I love the hanging bags of beans, what a great idea. And the paintings turned out great.
Thanks for linking up to the kids co-op this week.

Heather's Heart said...

I love the flowers they painted!

I am a new follower to your wonderful blog! My recent post was about plants. Come see the adorable (and yummy!) plant snack we made!

Heather
Heather's Heart

Post a Comment