CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Froggies!

We started our Frog Unit this week.  We started by brainstorming all the facts we knew about frogs and making an anchor chart.  We read a little of Gail Gibbon's Frog book and then added new information in a different color of marker.  Two of my reading groups read some non-fiction comparing toads and frogs and then started writing their own books about them. (I swear I learn something new every year!)

We also learned how to draw frogs (actually, just how I draw frogs!)  I cut out these frogs for them to decorate with oil pastels and paint with watercolors.  I love how they turned out!





 Love the froggy eyelashes!


 We are also reading Frog and Toad.  I am trying hard to help them understand the difference between how frogs are portrayed in fiction and real life.  We have had a few discussions about what is really important to frogs (food and safety.  I didn't mention reproduction in this case although we have talked about the eggs and how the mother doesn't stay to meet her babies!)

One little cutie said "But frogs always look so happy!"

We are stamping the frog life cycle tomorrow and we have one more week of frogs before we switch to insects.

Here are some other art projects from April:

Tulips




Kandinsky Trees!  The kids traced their hands and forearms for the tree trunk and branches.  They learned about concentric circles and Kandinsky in art class last week so it seemed like a great time to throw this one in.  Love how graphic they are!






This excellent idea came from Pinterest.  The blog I found it on was The Clever Feather.  If you are interested in seeing what else I have collected on Pinterest, I added the Pinterest button up at the top of my sidebar.  Love Pinterest!


0 comments:

Post a Comment